Druss Blog

An account of my attempts to try and improve my chess.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Slow progress through the 50s

I've been working my way through the level 50s. It is slow progress, but I'm enjoying it. I've completed about 40 of them, and I'm scoring about 60%.

They are definitely more difficult problems. I'm really struggling to try and see all the possibilities, but I'm improving a bit.

This made me think a bit about what I'm really learning from this tactical training. My feeling at the moment is that it could be two things:

1) My ability just to see more tactics in the position. By this I mean instantly realising that there is a concealed check, a pin etc. And that this is reinforced by iterating through the problems a number of times - especially the lower level ones

2) Increasing my calculation depth. Being able to see the result of a longer sequence of moves, and also being able to visualise the resulting position more clearly and spot tactics in that position. For example, being able to see a knight fork after four or five forced moves. I feel this is reinforced by trying to do the harder levels. Although when they get too hard it can feel counter productive.

2 Comments:

At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Randy said...

I bought CT-ART today and figured I would jump from unrated to 2000 ELO in 6 months. I commend you on your efforts, but geez, a year in and no 400 points to be seen! This chess thing may be harder than it looks.

 
At 4:14 AM, Blogger BlunderProne said...

It only gets tougher from here. You can check my blog. the first couple of passes I didn't even break 50%. But once I got through the 4th and 5th iteration... it started to click. Keep at it... little by little.

As to Randy... no easy answers... no magic formula... blood sweat and tactics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home