Druss Blog

An account of my attempts to try and improve my chess.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

John Nunn was an early knight!

Still plodding through the level 40s, but it is going OK with my new approach. I'm taking my time and trying to think deeply about the problems - I even get a surprising amount right!

On a more interesting note however, I came across this bit in Jacob Aagaard Excelling at Chess:


It is a game John Nunn played against Portisch in the Reykjavik World Cup 1988.

Black played 31 .. c5? and Nunn followed up with a nice tactical finish:
32 Re4 Rg8 33 Qxh7+! 1-0

Aagard says:
"Nunn had obviously intended this combination. It is no coincidence that in his Best Games Collection he writes that, as a child, he had solved every combination (999 in all!) in a book and this very same theme had featured."

Sounds like knight training to me, and even a grandmaster level game can be decided as a result!

7 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

It sure does. Great example.

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

The whole "English School" whereto Nunn belonged played very tactical.

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger funkyfantom said...

It was the Reinfeld book. He mentions this in the intro to "John Nunn's Puzzle Book".

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

Hey, that's the one I used for my circles!

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Patrick said...

Personal Chess Trainer has about a million examples with a Queen sac on h7 followed by rook to h-file check followed by Bc1-h6 check then Bf8#.

That being said, i recognized the pattern right away. :D

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why wouldn't the black king simply capture the white queen?

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Druss said...

It would. But then the rook would come over, and then the bishop ... chasing the king back to h8. Then the bishop moves to f8 with mate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home