Druss Blog

An account of my attempts to try and improve my chess.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Bored

I've finished the level 10s and 20s for the sixth time, but I didn't enjoy it. I rattled through them fairly quickly, but it was very boring. I find these final stages tedious ... when you are recognising patterns more than calculating. Starting the 30s is a better, but not exactly fun.

So I'm easing off a bit. Not totally taking a break, but planning to do other things as well as just solve CT Art problems.

So ... I bought Excelling at Chess by Jacob Aagaard (mostly because of the Rowson review in New In Chess). He has an interesting sentence in the first chapter:

"I believe that most tournament games are not won by superior calculation or imaginary power, as I used to think, but rather due to superior understanding of the very basics of the game."

Which sounds to me much like strategic rules! Anyway, interesting to find out more what he has to say, and a bit of strategy will be a welcome break from all this tactical calculation.

3 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

The doldrums. Every Knight Victorious has been in 'em.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

Yep. There's nothing terribly interesting about repeated loops through tactical problems. It's tedious work, but it's also effective training.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

Yup.

The book sounds interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home